Friday, February 7, 2014

Almond butter cookies

I've been doing some new baking adventuring, of figuring out how to adapt a recipe that isn't gluten free, and add some extra flavor to something I'd never made before!

I wanted to make my 4 ingredient Peanut Butter cookies, with almond butter, but it was proving a bit difficult. I wanted to do a simple swap on the peanut butter and almond butter, because I've heard that works, but my using all natural almond butter was an issue because it doesn't stiffen up as nice as peanut butter. 

I did learn that now Jiff is making Almond Butter that is more like a peanut butter consistency, so I may have to try this again with that almond butter, and the almond meal may be reduced significantly. 


 Ingredients:

1 - cup almond butter stirred and room temp (I used Whole Foods brand)
1 - large egg
1/2 - cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 - teaspoon baking soda
1/2 - cup almond flour/meal
Peanuts/almonds for topping cookies

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the egg until fully beaten. Then add the Almond butter, brown sugar and baking soda. Mix together until fully combined. The dough will have a greasy texture to it. Then mix in the almond meal. If the dough still looks greasy, and not too firm add some more. You want to take the greasy sheen out of the cookies before baking.

Once dough is to desired consistency add soup spoon size dollaps to your cookie sheet and place nuts on top for garish. I left the dough in ball form instead of flattening out. They did a great job of flattening on their own (shocking!). Bake for 12-14 minutes depending how crunchy of a cookie you want. If you want one less crunchy bake 10-12 minutes. 

These are great for dunking in your coffee, they have a lot of almond flavor and are a mouthful! The almond meal adds a nice punch of almond flavor, that's truly almond, and not artificial. I'm debating adding some vanilla extract on the next batch and seeing how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment