Monday, February 17, 2014

Juniper 61, Gluten Free in Milwaukee

Our family took a trip up to Milwaukee, WI to check out the Harley Davidson Museum. I've been up to Milwaukee a couple times to visit friends, but we mostly stick to getting brunch rather than dinner. So we had to get adventurous and try something new. While checking menu's my dad saw an option for a smoked Gouda cheese on a sandwich the menu for Juniper 61, that was enough to sell him for dinner. It's a cute little place, right at the edge of Milwaukee before you go into Wauwatosa, WI. They do have an outside seating area out back for when the weather is nice. 

Looking over the menu they had a lot of good sounding options. Gluten free and Vegan items are labeled on the regular menu. We decided to try a bunch and see what we liked best! For appetizers we got the bacon wrapped scallops. My mom had never tried scallops and my brother previously was not a fan. These were delish! 


They were plated on a quinoa, walnut, edamame, tomato salad that added to the flavor of the scallops. I had been advised the sweet potato fries with Chipotle sauce is a must try, so we got a large order of those, and the kettle chips with blue cheese, both fried in a dedicated gluten free fryer.


For my entree I had to get the short ribs served over creamy polenta. It was unique and the flavors complemented each other perfectly. With the appetizers and fries and chips, I ended up taking half my meal home to eat for lunch the next day. Everything was so tasty, I want to go back again when I'm up in the Milwaukee area.

 

I give Juniper 61; 4 dragonflies. Our server was very gluten friendly knowledgable. I Had ordered a Crispin cider, but they were out of it, he came back with other GF drink options as a result, even writing our order for the shared items he noted gluten free before I reminded him. The natural and local vibe was evident and made it feel very home like.


No comments:

Post a Comment