Thursday, January 1, 2015

Wise Guys Pizzeria

This past weekend we happen to be out in South Elgin and ended up spending more time then expected, and needed something to eat before heading back to the Northwest burbs. We found Wise Guys Pizzeria in South Elgin, formerly Pizza Cucina until July of 2012.

It's a casual dining establishment at the left end of a strip mall off of Randall Road. We happened to get there between lunch and dinner time, so there was no wait and very quick service for the dine in area. They also are able to do carry out, and catering.


The gluten free menu is listed up by the front counter for walk up/carry out diners, and also listed in the regular paper menus at the tables. When we ordered I made sure to emphasize to our waitress Gluten Free, for an allergy. I was excited they had cheesy garlic bread as a side dish, I had to get an order, since I don't know the last time I had garlic bread, and this came with cheese baked on it!


It was tasty, I could tell when she brought it over, it had a certain smell to it that was very gluten free. I gave a couple small pieces to the people dinning with me. (very small, I was enjoying it too much) They both agreed it was good, my brother said he was picking up on the gluten taste in it.

I had ordered the gluten free pasta with vodka sauce. The waitress asked Spaghetti noodles or penne? I was shocked there was a choice of pastas. I made sure to again emphasize that it was gluten free due to an allergy. When my pasta arrived, I was shocked to see there was garlic bread on it.... I asked the girl if the bread was also gluten free. After staring at me blankly she said she would go ask in back. She came back with the manager who confirmed the bread in fact was NOT gluten free. 


I pointed out to him that there were in fact crumbs from the bread in the pasta. He said, "then we will have to make you a new one." It only took a few minutes for a new dish to come out to me. This one came out piping hot, and with gluten free garlic bread. The sauce this time also looked more like vodka sauce. It was very tasty, but I definitely filled up on the cheesy bread waiting for my meal, so I ended up taking most of the pasta home to have for lunch.

I was glad they took the correct steps for fixing my dish and making sure a new one came out quickly. The food was good, they have pizza and pasta's, with no extra cost for gluten free pasta! That is almost un-heard of! Though it would be nice if they had gluten free sandwich options in addition to the traditional Italian options. I would only give them 3 dragonflies, I do worry that since we were the ONLY diners in the restaurant and they couldn't get gluten free done correctly, I worry how they would be when the restaurant is busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment