Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween to everyone! Our family has always been the type that got more excited over Halloween then we did Christmas. We were very excited when my family decided it was socially acceptable to decorate the front yard, small and not offensive.... Well the only rule we follow now is not offensive or sick. Small does not describe at all how we handle Halloween. 

The great part is my brother works for a company that is the same way. Well in their mind it's easier to celebrate Halloween, as a fun holiday, versus dealing with the religious aspect of Christmas. They dress up and decorate the office, and I make is "spooky" dish of treats. Well when I got diagnosed I informed him we had passed the last year of "normal treats". At first he freaked out, but it made us try harder to find mixes we liked and treats that were easy to make gluten free. Last year he requested Pamela's Brownie mix and we had some skeletons sticking out (picture pending me finding it again! I know it's in my archives!!) No one believed him that they were gluten free brownies. For Christmas time I decided to make some gluten free chocolate covered oreo's in the effort to make people see Gluten Free does not = Awful! Yes some stuff is less than desirable. But there are some great products out there!

The last "normal" dish we did were witches fingers pretzels. Now if a pretzel company could make these gluten free it's be awesome!

Note: Not Gluten Free sadly.
So this year because they all know I'm gluten free, and the only baked goods I'll make for his parties are Gluten Free, the potluck list even said "Mitch - Gluten free chocolate covered Oreo's"
These ARE Gluten Free

 Trader Joe's Gluten Free Joe Joe's fit in the candy molds perfectly, I guess it's one advantage to gluten free Oreo's being smaller, they fit in the molds Perfectly! I couldn't let him have all the fun, so I made an equal plate to share with my co-workers, I didn't tell them they were gluten free, and I only heard compliments on how awesome they were. 

For the candy coating I use Wilton Candy melts they are super easy to work with, they come in tons of colors (well milk chocolate, Dark chocolate, Mint chocolate, lavendar, black, 2 shades of green, blue, orange, yellow, red.. now even flavors). This way you can make all the holiday treats you want, without anyone knowing they are gluten free, and they look store bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment