Friday, July 11, 2014

Gluten Free Rum Cake

I swear I'm not an alcoholic. I swear! I just like to bake with liquor! I never made this cake pre-gluten free, but one day my brother started to nag me about rum cake and rum balls. So I decided to see how hard it was to make a rum cake. It's easy!

I am kind of picky about what mix to use for this because the original recipe I adapted this from calls for a 18.5oz chocolate cake mix. Most of the GF mixes are smaller than that, more like 14-16oz mixes. I've found a couple that work well, Sof'ella, King Arthur, and Pamela's all have large enough mixes to use. 

A friend told me that I could probably do the same cake but with a white cake mix if I used white rum instead of spiced... I haven't tried it yet! 

Ingredients:
Cake - 
18.5oz package chocolate Cake Mix
3.9oz package instant chocolate pudding (Not made)
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup spiced or dark rum
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Glaze-
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/8 cup spiced or dark rum
1/8 cup water

Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees, grease a 10 inch bundt pan with either cooking spray (not baking spray it contains flour!) or butter. Place chopped nuts in the pan, (optional I've made it with and without the nuts).
With an electric mixer, mix together all the cake ingredients until batter is smooth. Pour the batter in slow and evenly.

Bake for 60 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and flip onto a plate for glazing.

Right before you take the cake out of the oven you'll make the glaze. For the glaze - in a sauce pan or soup pot mix the glaze ingredients together. Bring the mix to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. While the cake is still nice and warm and fresh out of the oven pour this mix over the top of the cake. Pour slowly so the glaze has some time to soak in.


Hopefully your bundt pan is not like the pan my mom gave me to use - from 50 years ago, and feels like it's 10lbs on it's own. Trying to flip and remove cake while still warm to apply glaze was a bit rough! If I was forewarned I would have started lifting some weights a week earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment