Thursday, July 17, 2014

Smokin' T's Bar-B-Q

Trying to figure out what to do for dinner one night, my brother commented he wanted wings. I  told him I'd see what I could figure out... I found us wings! Though it was an adventure, but he's gotten use to dining out with me = adventure... So we wandered off to Long Grove.


Smokin' T's Bar-B-Q is on 22 in Long Grove, it's kind of tucked away where you wouldn't find it right away. I was glad we did. Smokin T's owners are both graduates of the Culinary Institute of America, and have over 40 years of experience together working in hospitality. Their experience shows in their business. Ok we're a bit blonde and couldn't find the entrance when we walked up... Who would have thought the entrance wouldn't face the road! It faces the swamp it over looks in the back. Due to the horrible stagnant heat, and the mosquito's being like vampires the last few days, we ate inside.


Back to the wings, so one of the first things on the menu was wings, so we did accomplish our goal finding wings. So we got an order of wings, I got a wedge salad, and my brother got the meat sampler. I asked if the fries and chips were cooked in dedicated oil, the gal behind the counter said, yes, normally they are, but they'd had brunch that day, so the fryer was contaminated. (tear...)

First off the wings are winners, they are smokey and don't even need sauce on them. They came with an Alabama sauce, which was really good too, but not needed for the wings. My brother kept raving how good and smokey the meats were. All the sauces are made in house and I was assured they were all gluten free, all the sauces were tasty. I really liked mixing the regular and the sweet and spicy. Though I probably could have just kept eating the Alabama sauce! The salad was good, and didn't show up with croutons.

I was impressed with the staff knowledge of gluten,and what options were safe. Minus the items that are served on bread there is a good variety of options, including sauces that are safe. The sides were more questionable, but a hearty helping of wings and a side salad were fine by me. I give them 4 dragonflies. The place was kind of dead for a Sunday, but with the heat and the start of the holiday week I figure that was part of the reason for the lack of crowd. This place is a keeper on my list! Next time I'm going for the pulled pork nachos!

No comments:

Post a Comment