Thursday, June 13, 2013

RumChata Cheesecake Gluten free

I got a baking bug this morning, and felt the need to make a cheesecake. Since I still have a bottle of RumChata in my cupboard from making RumChata cupcakes a couple months back, (I'll put that recipe together soon) so I decided to look up a recipe for RumChata cheesecake. I couldn't find a Gluten Free specific recipe so I decided to work on tweaking one that was on the Rumchata site. Below is my tweaked version of their cheesecake recipe.  


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  • 2 boxes Schar graham crackers, crushed
  • 8 -10 Schars Shortbread cookies
  • 4 tbs butter, melted
  • 32 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup RumChata
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Redmill) 
Grease 10" spring form pan. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the pan. In an extra large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Slowly blend in RumChata and eggs. Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour until smooth. Pour filling over prepared crust. Bake for 1 hour. Check to see if the center seems firm, you may need to add an extra 10 minutes to the time. Turn off oven and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours to prevent cracking. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.

The graham crackers are packaged with 6 squares per wrapper, to easily break them up I left them in the packs and just broke them up in there, before crushing them some more in the bowl. I was intrigued to try the new graham crackers from Schars to see how they would compare to a regular graham cracker. They were tasty, and had a good consistency, though they seem a bit thick to use for s'mores, but I would probably only use one cracker when doing that instead of 2.


The cake will puff up quite a bit before it finally starts to settle. Mine was up to the top before it settled to the proper height after sitting for a couple hours. I was impatient, and only let me mine set for 3 hours before serving. 
 
 

After letting the cake set for about 3 hours, we served it up for dessert. The crust came out a bit burnt, and very crumbly, but tasty. The cake itself was light and airy, it almost melted in your mouth. Of the possible 4 thumbs up from my family I got a 4 out of 4 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment