Saturday, June 3, 2023

Elgin Food Hall Birdettes

I had seen on Find Me Gluten Free a listing for Birdette's in Elgin, it mentioned they had gluten free fried chicken! I got super excited, as that is the main thing I really crave. So I asked around to a few other people if they'd heard of it or knew anything, they said no, but was worth checking out. A little more digging I found out they're in a food hall. While thinking that was a bit odd for Elgin, still was intrigued to find a reason to be out that way to check it out. We've visited food halls other places we've traveled and they were super cute and worth visiting again. 

While at a loss for a late lunch we wandered over to the Dream Hall food hall to give it a go. It was rather confusing to figure out where all the food options were and what they were since it looked to have multiple floors, and only 3 spots to order food on the 1st floor. Eventually we figured out the left you got coffee, the middle was all the food options and the right was the bar. We walked around and checked out the space, and opted to order our food.

I had to go with the fried chicken. I did the drumettes, and a mozzarella & tomato salad with my chicken. My husband did a curry bowl. We were slightly confused at the menu but realized all the food options were listed in one spot. My wings were good, the creamy buffalo was not very spicy at all which was good, it didn't distract from the chicken which was pretty awesome. They asked if I wanted blue cheese on the side, and I said sure. Sadly the blue cheese was Ken's dressing, which is GF safe, but I find their dressings lack flavor of any level. I enjoyed my caprese salad, though the tomatoes were very tough like they were hot house raised. My husband was underwhelmed with his curry dish having little to no spice and not being very curry like. He wished he'd gone with the nutella pancakes instead. He also got a iced coffee drink from the coffee stand, that was really good.

I'll give them 4 dragonflies because they have multiple GF options and very clear labeling. When I mentioned gluten free they seemed very knowledgeable on it. But the lack of being able to figure out what was going on with the space and where to go was a bit odd. Plus most of the options could have had more flavor. I hope the succeed, since they don't seem in a high foot traffic area like most food halls. 



No comments:

Post a Comment