Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Beef - Cheese & Potato Casserole

I was in the mood for something different the other day.. wasn't sure what exactly but I wanted comfort food. this reminded me of a knock off Hamburger Helper dish that my mom would make regularly back in my Not Gluten Free Days. It was pretty easy, the time consuming part was slicing the potatoes, cause I don't have a mandolin. But I do have one on my wedding registry now! 

Ingredients: 
1.5 lbs Lean Ground Beef
6-8 Slices of Bacon
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
4 Large Baking Potatoes Sliced Very Thin
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used Progresso)
1/2 Cup Beef stock
2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese


Directions:

Set the oven to 350 degrees and grease your 13x13 baking dish.
Brown the ground beef and cook with the onions, garlic and pepper.
Mix in the 1/2 cup of beef stock and set the mixture aside.
You can use the same pan from the beef to fry up the bacon until crispy. 
Once fried, crumble the bacon in to small pieces and set aside. 
Slice the potatoes super thin. (If you have a mandolin that will be the best option, if not slice thin and watch your fingers!!).
Layer half the potatoes at the bottom of the dish covering the entire bottom. 
Pour half the soup (not cooked) over the top of the potatoes.
Next layer half the beef mixture over the potatoes, and top with 3/4ths cup of cheese.
Repeat this process with another layer of potatoes, soup, beef this time include the crumbled bacon and 1 cup of cheese.

Cover the top of your baking dish with tin foil and place in the oven for 80 minutes.  
After the 80 minutes pull the dish out of the oven and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese. 

I sliced and served similar to lasagna and served with a side of veggies.
This was a good dish for 2 meals for us, and one I'll do again for a nice different comfort food meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment